Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

cosmic jokes and blogging

I remember when I first came across this thing called a "weblog". Actually the first ones I came across were "online diaries". I was fascinated.

Writing out your thoughts and having people comment on them? Sounded wonderful to an 18 year old sitting at home alone heavily pregnant with no support system, no family, and friends who were still caught up in this thing called "youth".

It's hard to believe that was nearly a decade ago. It's amazing to think that I still talk to the people I met in my first online incarnation, that we are still friends, without ever having met in the "real world".

In the time I've known them we've had babies, got married, got divorced, been through adoptions, stillbirths, miscarriages, deaths, kids with issues, cheating husbands, and just about any other life experience you can imagine.

The internet is such a powerful creature (for good and for evil).

Blogging has enriched my life in so many ways, and carried me through the greatest heartbreaks. It led me to some people who I now regard as some of the closest friends I have.

It's amazing the way blogging has changed over time. It's amazing to me that so many people have blogs now (where we bloggers were once regarded as somewhat strange)(okay most people still regard me as somewhat strange) and that so many people are making a living from them (who knew that was possible? Thanks Dooce)

I have longed to go to BlogHer for a few years now. But being all the way over on this darn island makes it somewhat more challenging. I wished there was such a thing as an Australian blogging conference.

Guess what, there was!

Guess where I was? In the damn USA!

Definition of irony?

I've wanted to take this blog in a hundred different directions over the past year. But then IVF took hold of me and took over my life (and by extension of me - this blog). As there is no prospect of that ever happening again, it's time to move on. Onwards and upwards as they say. Now is the time to make some changes.

I wish I could have been at this "conference" they speak of, but alas, my life being the cosmic joke it is, I wasn't. Anyone care to clue me in on what I missed?



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails