Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

a real vacation? me?

It has been years now that we have talked about "one day" going away - far away - on an actual vacation *gasp* but there was always a reason not to.

After our boy died all I wanted was to get away...but at the same time all I wanted was to hibernate in my tiny house and never leave.

Then I got pregnant with Manny and travelling anywhere more than 20 minutes from my hospital was a big fat HELL NO.

Then he was born, and wonderful, and we renovated another house. "Maybe when we're done here" we said "we should make enough money to afford a big trip overseas". Well of course I bought another house before selling that one, so all our money went into that.

And here we are renovating house number 4 with no end date in sight.

So last week we got to talking. It's like having kids. If you wait for the "right time" you will always be waiting. There is no right time. The time is now. Carpe diem and all that jazz. So we started thinking "where should we go?" Pacific islands? Nepal? India? Back to Italy or Spain? (as I have never taken Lou to see where I lived). To Canada? (hey we could get legally hitched!)

But all talk turned to the Happiest Place on Earth and the joy it would bring to my kids (and by kids I am including the 30 year old one in there too). I haven't been since I was 12 and I remember how amazing it all was. I took Rocket to Euro Di.sn.ey in Paris when he was about 2 but it was NOT the same by any standards. Then we talked about NYC and San Francisco and so many other places we wanted to see, and take the kids to see.

Then Lou found out there was a Le.go.la.nd and that was it. USA it had to be.

And as I am known for rash spur of the moment decisions, and as aforementioned carpe diem nonsense...we leave in roughly 3.5 weeks.

Eek! Cue panic over Manny having no passport, Rocket's being expired and no plans whatsoever. What can I say - I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of girl through and through. All I can say is it will be very exciting, and a well deserved break for us all. Our kids have suffered through a lot over the last few years and they need this too. Everyone that has found out about our plans has commented "You guys have worked so hard for so long you deserve this". Who knew people had noticed??

Stay tuned for midnight panic attacks until we leave :)

(ooh and photos of our nearly completed bathroom! My wife is a rockstar)




7 comments:

  1. Of COURSE we notice! I foresee you having a totally FAB time! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow how fabulous, I hope you have a brilliant time!! So so jealous! You better take LOADS of pics!

    I love EVERYTHING about this post except the sight of that D word in the last paragraph - I still despise it LOL

    ~x~

    ReplyDelete
  3. woo, yay to a vacation! sounds like you really need one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - how exciting! You definitely deserve this - I'm so glad you're taking the plunge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kids will LOVE it!!! We went there a couple of years ago and had a blast. Y'all have a great time and enjoy yourselves!
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful!! Suzy and clan our coming to our side of the world! Any chance you want to make a stop in the frozen tundra of North Dakota?? Just kidding. That would be insane right now! LOL!

    And after all the time I've been reading your blogs, I just realized I was never officially a follower of this one! Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A holiday sounds well deserved! Good luck getting all the travel documents in order - it's a pain but surely the holiday will be well worth it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails